Thursday, August 20, 2009

Game on!

Playing games has always been a huge part of our family tradition.
Whether it be Chicken Foot or Canasta with the Hohenstein's, or Phase 10 and more Chicken Foot with the Hamilton/Teter clan, Addysen has been born into a family that loves to play!
As I mentioned in her birthday post, Addysen received several games for her birthday. While we haven't attempted Uno just yet, Addy has enjoyed playing the Memory Game, Chutes & Ladders, the Fishing Game, Candyland and Hi Ho Cherry-O. We are mastering the art of interpreting the instructions of a game, following directions, taking turns and spending good ole fashion quality time with family. Addysen usually gets a "few turns" when its her turn playing the memory game. She loves that game!
Beyond the game board, we also love to play "I Spy" and a game that Addy made up, which I'll call "Which Letter". Addysen will often ask me "Which letter starts the word _____" and she'll usually ask about words that are in her surroundings. On our trip to Mammoth, we discovered the letters that start the words mountain, cloud, road, tree, blue, green, you get the idea. And most of the time she knows the answer already. Its amazing how she can associate letters with words. If I point to a letter, she usually knows it but doesn't say what it is. However, she'll use an example to describe the letter. She's famous for this when it comes to the letter "R". If I point to the letter "R", she won't tell me its an "R", rather she explains that its for Ryan.
On the alphabet front, we've been mastering our writing skills! Addysen's favorite letter to write is the Q (make a circle and then give it a tail!), but she can also write an A, H, O and has made an X, I, T. Writing is a work in progress, and we really only work on it when she's in the mind set to write as it seems that the lesson soaks in better when she's interested in learning.

1 comment:

jrshinn@gmail.com said...

That's awesome! And so cute! Next stop: Writing her name.

I'm impressed!