Our little girl is on lock down!
Let me back up and explain. In the 2 1/2 years of Addysen's life, we have never had childproofing in our home. This is probably due to the fact that we have such a small home (650 sq feet) that we don't really have a need for it. We are all around each other all of the time and can keep tabs on Addysen's activities. We've had the occasional incident of Qtips being scattered all over the floor, but no major messes. I've never really felt the need for childproofing, until recently; I think there is a correlation between the need for childproofing and Addysen's inability to listen!
Our dear child becomes more and more capable and independent each day. Since she is very tall for her age, she has been able to reach doorknobs and door locks for awhile now. But she now realizes that she can decide for herself that she isn't going to follow the rules and will open the door so that she can go outside, down the stairs (we own an upstairs condo) and even down to the grassy area in front of the house. One morning, I was making us some toast while getting her ready to go to Disneyland (her 2nd trip) with her grandparents and realized that I couldn't hear her anymore. Addysen was downstairs, next to my car parked in front of our condo, waiting for Bob and Debbie; I nearly had a heart attack!
Needless to say, we have introduced the New York style apartment door chain to our front door.

And then there is the refrigerator! A place where Addysen is more then welcome if she ASKS for something first; she has not mastered this skill yet.

(Addysen saw me taking a picture of the fridge for this blog and decided to pose...... a rare occasion!)
Addysen is a grazer; she rarely eats at meal time but will snack to her hearts content. We think (hope) this eating pattern is a phase because she used to be a really good meal eater. She also enjoys quenching her thirst and who can blame her. I usually have a glass of water going at all times so I understand her need to have something to drink. I had no intention of banning the refrigerator from Addysen. I want her to feel like she is welcome to eat, especially if she is hungry, but I want her to ask first before getting in the refrigerator. My mom will have to correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought we had to ask first to get in the fridge when we were little. So, we've decided to install the fridge lock! Pure genius! I noticed this same lock at my friend Rachel's house a while back, and we finally remembered to put this lock down on our Target list.

I left this lock open last night, and Addysen got in the fridge to get some juice. She set the juice on the counter and came and got me so she can have a drink. "Look, I did it by myself" she said, and pointed to the lock; she locked the fridge for me. She has yet to figure out how to open it, and I pray she doesn't master this skill too soon. Until then, Andy and I will continue to reinforce the rule of asking first before getting into the fridge with hopes that the lock down can end soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment